Saturday, August 16, 2008

Finally, a card! And some sewing...

It's been busy, busy, busy around here with a "cram the last fun stuff in before school starts" chaos. But I did manage to stamp a bit. This card uses SU stuff- I'll list specifics at the end. I made 2 versions, this one and one with a zig zag stitch- just for variety. A close relative is getting baptized so this card is for the special day.

Stuff I used:
cardstock: whisper white, so saffron, mellow moss
ink: so saffron, mellow moss
stamps: refuge and strength
accessories: mellow moss taffeta, marvy scallop punch, sewing machine

We have some birthdays to celebrate this coming week. My husband has a niece and nephew that are both married and have kids. So the birthdays are for his great-nephew and great-niece. I was inspired by Nichole Heady's post on fabric purse construction on her blog. Since I also look for excuses to sew (just like stamping!) I thought that a book tote would be perfect for these budding readers (ages 3 and 2). I simply changed the measurements to make the totes a bit larger for books (I started with fabric 14" wide by 24" long) and made the straps from the fabric, otherwise it's exactly the same. Nichole's instructions are clear and simple, plus her photos are very helpful. If you have ever wanted to make a simple gift, this is a good choice. Her project is ideal because it combines sewing AND stamping!! It doesn't get any better than that! Here's her blog:
Look under her list of tutorials for fabric purse construction
She has lots of other very inspiring things to look at too.



The book is one of all the kids' all-time favorites. It was one that my mother-in-law read to my husband when he was a boy- it's a great story for counting, and a few laughs. I recommend it!
Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Debbie Olson said...

Your card is beautiful, Peggy! Great job on the purse too!